If you are looking for super healthy and nutrient-rich recipes for your dog, you are at the right place. The best way to ensure that your dog is on a proper diet is to prepare the meals yourself. But we usually do not have enough time for that. There are numerous dog food recipes available with simple ingredients that are time-saving too. We looked through several recipes and separated some easiest and favorite ones to give you the best in one place. Whether you are a new pet parent or an experienced one, you can use them as these recipes are nutritious, wholesome and dogs love them all. Be sure about any food allergies and consult your vet before switching to homemade meals.
Is the Homemade Diet Safe?
Homemade diets are growing in popularity because you can control the ingredients. Moreover, they are healthier as every parent wants the best for their dogs. Homemade diets are better than processed dog food. But, consider some factors before giving a homemade diet to your dog.
- Choose a recipe that contains all the nutrients in the right proportion.
- Invest enough time to measure ingredients and prepare the food correctly.
- Check the cost of the ingredients used in making homemade food for your dog.
- You may need to source multiple recipes to change the diet periodically and keep your dog interested.
Dogs have different nutritional needs than humans, so you cannot share your supper with them. Feeding an imbalanced diet can cause a deficiency in dogs. Dogs need some calories too to meet their energy level. You can take the assistance of your veterinarian to determine the per-day calories need for your dog. A homemade dog diet should contain an appropriate balance of protein, carbohydrates, fiber, fat, Vitamins, and minerals.
Read Also: How To Deal With Pet Obesity: Problems And Treatment
Observations while Feeding Homemade Dog Food
Keep an eye on your dog for any changes due to switching to homemade food. Stay in touch with your veterinarian and inform him about any weight fluctuations of your pet. Check its weight and body condition every week and keep a record. Watch for vomiting or diarrhea and report these or any other signs of illness to your veterinarian.
When preparing a diet at home for your dog, you must choose an appropriate and balanced recipe.
- Firstly, you should have a food scale, food processor, pots, pans, and containers or bags for portioning the food.
- Always buy fresh and high-quality ingredients.
- Avoid foods that are harmful to your dog.
- Measure the ingredients using a scale for accuracy.
- Cook according to the directions.
- Mix food and supplements well.
- Store the food in the refrigerator as it stays fresh for three to four days. Frozen dog food is best within about two to 6 months. Avoid feeding frozen homemade dog food after six months.
People prepare food in large quantities and store it in the freezer. But, initially, you might want to begin by making smaller quantities so you can see how your dog does. Here are seven approved by the Vet homemade Dog food recipes:
The Old Standard
This meal is so-called because it has some common ingredients you have likely seen in many a homemade dog meal like brown rice, turkey, and veggies. It is healthy, easy to cook, and economical. It is the perfect meal to make in large batches and then freeze.
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 2 shredded carrots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shredded zucchini
- 3 pounds of ground turkey
- 1/2 cup peas
- 3 cups chopped baby spinach
- In a large saucepan, add 3 cups of water to cook rice and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large vessel and cook turkey until browned for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add spinach, carrots, zucchini, peas, and brown rice and stir for about 3-5 minutes. Let it cool and serve.
Calories: 412 per cup
Read Also: How To Cut Dog Nails Safely Without Hurting Him
A stew takes about 15 minutes of prep and then 5-8 hours in a slow cooker. It stays fresh in the fridge for a couple of days and smells good. Once you make it the first time, the dogs will stalk the crockpot and leave piles of drool on the floor in front of it while it finishes cooking.
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups cubed sweet potato
- 2 chicken breasts, each cut into six pieces
- 2 pounds frozen mixed veggies
- Place ingredients in a slow cooker in the order listed, covering the chicken with vegetables
- It will take 5 hours on high or 8 hours on low
- Now, shred chicken and stir into rice and veggie mixture evenly.
- Store in the fridge or freezer for up to three days.
- You can add some bone broth powder into the stew as it is healthy and enhances the taste.
Meatballs are close to actual human meals and look delicious to your pup. The recipe is great because it has pumpkin and oat bran which helps with a healthy digestive system.
- 5 kg ground meat
- 3 slices of cubed bread
- 2 cups of oat bran
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups pumpkin puree
- Some salt
- 4 carrots, boiled and mashed
- 4 kale stalk leaves chopped finely
- Put all ingredients together and mix them to form them into small balls
- Spread some flour over the balls and nake them in a 400-degree oven until done.
- It takes about 25 minutes to get ready.
Read Also: 10 Things To Know Before Going Hiking With A Dog
Spinach and Salmon Scramble
Fish oils are excellent for pups, and surprisingly it was tough to find many recipes that incorporated fish in their ingredient list. This yummy dish is another that you can share with your canine companion, as the meal works perfectly well for their human counterparts.
- A spoon of olive oil
- 1/2 bowl of skinless and boneless salmon
- 1/2 cup boiled spinach
- 2 eggs
- In a small nonstick pan, heat the oil over medium flame
- Put the spinach and salmon till cooked
- Add the eggs and stir for about 2 minutes.
- Let it cool and serve.
Vegan Dog Bowl
A perfect vegan meal because it contains wholesome ingredients. It is easy to cook, digest and is pocket-friendly.
- One large sweet potato
- One cup of black beans
- 2/3 cups uncooked brown rice + 1 1/3 cup water or 2 cups cooked rice
- Six kale leaf stems, broken into 1-inch pieces
- Pierce sweet potato with a fork and bake or roast it.
- Cut it into small parts after it cools down.
- Cook rice or use the cooked rice.
- Mix rice, beans, sweet potatoes, and kale stems. Divide them into three equal servings.
- Each serving contains 356 calories.
Read Also: How To Find A Lost Dog In India: Ultimate Guide
It is a three-ingredient dish that is a good source of protein and omega-3 fatty acids. It will take only ten minutes to prepare. It is healthy and super versatile as you can replace any item with other vegetables or shaved smoked ham. You can even add whatever your dumpster loves. The egg offers a protein boost, but be sure that it is well cooked because raw eggs can cause an upset stomach for canines.
- 2 organic eggs
- green diced pepper or other veggies
- thinly sliced smoked salmon
- Lightly grease the pan with olive oil. Crack eggs directly into it.
- Add everything and stir with a fork or beater until combined.
- Cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Allow to cool and serve.
This recipe is perfect for the pup who loves dry food. You can add herbs and spices to the kibble, excluding the toxic ones such as onions or garlic. It is a perfect first recipe if you like to dip your toe into making at home meals but do not want to go too over the top.
- 6 cups of flour(white, whole wheat or oat)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup of powdered milk
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 mixing bowls
- 2-1/2 cups of milk, broth or water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Celsius.
- Mix the flour and powdered milk in one bowl and the eggs, baking oil and liquid in another bowl.
- Combine the material of both the bowls to form a thick and moist dough. You can add cheese, shredded meat, pureed fruits, or vegetables.
- Use the wooden roller to spread the dough on a greased baking tray and put it in the oven.
- Bake it for 45 minutes. Take the cookies out and break them into bite-sized pieces.
- Store them in an airtight container.
So, you have seven vet-approved homemade dog food recipes. We hope you have found a few that speak to you and your pup and that you will like them all. Try them in your kitchen and start cooking as they are easy and healthy. Together, we can make mealtime for our pets more pleasurable and fun.
Read Also: 10 Common Dog Behavior Problems And Solutions
The post 7 vet-approved homemade dog food recipes you can easily make at home appeared first on Petofy.