Having a short dog name is ideal for training. If you want to keep your dog’s name simple, these one-syllable dog names are perfect. We’ve gathered over 200 ideas from cute to tough and everything in-between.
By choosing a short dog name you’ll have a word that’s easy to remember and fast to shout across the dog park. This is a benefit of one-syllable dog names, however you’ll want to make sure you don’t pick a name that’s too similar to any training commands (come, sit, shake, etc).
While there isn’t a direct training benefit with having a one-syllable dog name, having a long dog name will make training more difficult. In most cases, it’s best to stick to no more than two to three syllables.
Top Short Dog Names
To start off our list of one-syllable dog names we’ve taken a look at the most popular options and narrowed it down to just the short names. Then we grouped the names for male and female puppies.
One-Syllable Female Dog Names
One-Syllable Male Dog Names
Short Cute Ideas
These short, sweet names are perfect for a new puppy.
You can find the complete list of cute dog names here.
Cool One-Syllable Names
If you want your puppy to be the coolest on the block give your new furry friend one of these names.
More cool dog names
One-Syllable Tough Dog Names
More tough dog names
Short Funny Names
If you want your pup’s name to come along with a chuckle, then these are the names for you.
More funny dog names
Famous Short Dog Names
These dog name ideas come from famous pups from movies and TV shows.
- Beast – The mastiff from The Sandlot who steals any baseballs that he can find.
- Blue – The main character from the children’s series Blue’s Clues
- Bolt – The German Shepherd voiced by John Travolta from the movie Bolt.
- Brain – The cartoon dog from Inspector Gadget.
- Chief – A hunting dog from The Fox and the Hound.
- Clue – A basset hound who was a detective from The Adventures of Mary Kate and Ashley.
- Dug – The golden retriever from the movie Up.
- Fly – A border collie who took in the title character pig in the movie Babe.
- Hooch – Giant dog detective companion to Tom Hanks in Turner and Hooch.
- Jip – A dog from David Copperfield.
- Jock – The Scottish terrier from Lady and the Tramp.
- Lad – From the book Lad, A Dog.
- Max – The Grinch’s dog companion from How the Grinch Stole Christmas.
- Pal – A dog from the cartoon Arthur.
- Patch – A Dalmation from 101 Dalmatians.
- Ren – The unstable Chihuahua from The Ren & Stimpy Show.
- Scud – Sid’s scary dog from Toy Story.
- Slink – The slinky dog from Toy Story.
- Skip – The boy’s puppy companion from My Dog Skip.
- Spike – A bulldog from Tom & Jerry, and also a dog from Rugrats.
- Skye – Cockapoo from Paw Patrol
- Tock – A dog with a clock in his belly from the book The Phantom Tollbooth.
- Tramp – The main male character from Lady and the Tramp.
- Tyke – Spike the bulldog’s son from Tom & Jerry.
Unique One-Syllable Dog Names
Here are some unique one-syllable dog names with meanings.
- Bach – Like the famous composer.
- Beau – handsome
- Bo – strong, fast
- Dax – leader
- Earl – warrior
- Ed – protector
- Fran – free
- Glen – valley
- Jace – moon
- Joon – king
- Judd – praised
- Jude – Hey Jude, the Beatles song.
- Keane – handsome and tall
- Keefe – cherished
- Klauss – leader in victory
- Leif – beloved descendant
- Lev – lion
- Liv – olive tree
- Mei – beautiful
- Midge – small
- Nash – adventurer
- Nell – light
- Paz – peace
- Rei – lovely
- Rhett – stream
- Rue – friend
- Shaw – wolf
- Shay – gift
- Sven – young
- Taj – crown
More unique dog names
Finding More Names
Hopefully, you’ve found some great name ideas for your dog, but if you’d like even more options to choose from we recommend saving your favorites to your list and then looking into some of these other options:
Then take a look at your saved names and say them out loud. From there narrow the list down and run them past your friends and family. Finally, follow our guide to teach your dog its name.
View Your Saved Names